Monday, January 4, 2010

Poetry Corner: McSweeney's Book of Poets Picking Poets


McSweeney's Book of Poets Picking Poets
Edited by Dominic Luxford
2007, McSweeney's Books


In this anthology, the editorial staff picked ten poems by poets they liked. In turn, each of these poets picked a poem of their own they were proud of and then another poem by a living poet whom they admired. This created ten chains of five poets each.
The poets range from writers of whom I've never heard and established poets like John Ashbery, Charles Simic and Kay Ryan

The anthology represents contemporary poets and as such is almost without exception written in free verse. Below is a poem from the anthology by David Berman I particularly admire:

"Now II" by David Berman

I am not in the parlor of a federal brownstone.
I am not a cub scout seduced by Iron Maiden's mirror worlds.

I'm on a floor unrecognized by the elevator,
fucked beyond all understanding
like a hacked up police tree
on the outskirts of town.

Father, why does this night
last longer than any other night?

For God is not a secret.

And the brown girl who reads the Bible by the pool
with a bookmark that says "ed called"
or "ed call ed," must know that turtles
are screwed in the snow

and that everything strains to be inevitable
even as it's being killed forever.

And this is also a song.

O I've lied to you so much I can no longer trust you.

Why must we suffer this expensive silence,
aren't we meant to crest in a fury more distinguished?

Because there is my life and there is our life
(which I know to be Your life).

Dear Lord, whom I love so much,
I don't think I can change anymore.

I have burned all my forces at the edge of the city.
I am all dressed up to go away,

and I'm asking You now
if You'd take me as I am.

For God is not a secret,

and this also is a song.

2 comments:

  1. Do you have a subscription to McSweeney's? I've thought about getting one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I do actually. and also to their sister magazine, The Believer.

    If you don't have one, you should totally consider it!

    ReplyDelete